Friday, May 4, 2007

Ethnic food on a budget

Meals on a budget can be tough for the poor college student, whose first instinct is to grab an item off the 99-cent menu at Wendy’s or Taco Bell (may its spirit forever live on Uptown). But I get a little disheartened when a person’s idea of eating ethnic means a stop at China Buffet. I too am a starving college student, but as a person whose favorite hobby is sampling new and unique cuisine, I cannot understand how an Americanized Chinese restaurant like China Buffet or “$3.75 Chinese” (Peking Palace) create the biggest stir among Athens’ top eaters.

In an informal survey, I polled 40 students at Ohio University who said they are willing to spend about $5 to $10 on typical meal at an Athens restaurant. But with all the options around town, why are they settling for the Jimmy Johns and Pita Pit found Uptown – restaurants that can be found on any college campus, USA?

For those growing weary of hamburgers and fake stir fry, I’ve listed my six favorite ethnic meals unique to Athens. These meals will not only wet the appetite of those wanting to try something “different,” but will play it easy on the wallets of our starving students.

Souvlaki’s Mediterranean Garden
9 West State Street • 740.592.4131
This might not be your idea of a tradition mom-and-pop type eatery, but Souvlaki’s makes you feel right at home. The diner setup is nothing special to look at, but the food is amazing. If you’re ready to go Greek, stop by and get hummus and warm pitas as a snack or go for an all out meal with your choice of gyro.
My Fave: Hummus dip with pita - $5.95

Casa Nueva
4 West State Street • 740.592.2016
From the food to the drinks to the dancing, Casa Nueva encompasses the flavor of Athens. Because much of the food that passes through the kitchen is locally grown, the chef whips up a special menu for each season of the year. So just when you think you’ve had it all, be sure to stop in for more.
My Fave: Enchilada Negra - One: $5.00 Two: $8.00

Casa Lopez
1017 East State Street • 740.592.3833
The lesser known of Athens’ two casas, Casa Lopez is my top pick for Mexican night. With its extensive menu and authentic cuisine, it’s impossible to have a bad meal here. Need to figure out what to try first? Order something topped with their cheese sauce. It will surely satisfy both your taste buds and your stomach.
My Fave: Chimichangas - $7.75

Star of India
128 West Union Street • 740.594.5269
Ok, so maybe I’m biased because this is the first taste of Indian food I’ve had, but Star of India quickly rose to the top of my list of ethnic cuisine. To get a complete sense of what this restaurant has to offer, be sure to order nan – flat bread – as a side. And when it comes to the curry, the spicier your selection the better.
My Fave: Tandoori Chicken (Half) - $6.00, side of Nan $1.50

Salaam
33 North Court Street • 740.594.3800
Formerly known as the Shishah Café, Salaam offers a mix of African, Middle Eastern and Indian food in an atmosphere that is fun and relaxed. The tapestries hanging on the brick walls and belly dancers who come in to perform will transport you out of Ohio to a far away country.
My Fave: Shawarma (lamb & beef gyro with veggies, hummus and tahini sauce) - $5.50

Happy Kobe
30 West Union Street • 740.594.7700
A sushi roll is hard to come by in Athens, but thanks to this restaurant started by a couple from Kobe, Japan, you’ll get only the finest of Japanese cuisine. Enjoy your meal at a street-side window or take a seat at the bar and watch your sushi as it’s rolled.
My Fave: Spicy Tuna Roll - $6.00

5 comments:

Chris Bruce said...

You are taking a very factual approach, which I like. It's a good idea to provide a mini-review for all of these restaurants and their contact info.

Are you planning on visiting each of them and expanding on what you wrote?

EmilyT said...

Wow, this post makes me hungry. One question though: You've included some of the restaurants' Web sites. Does this mean the others didn't have Web sites? If so, you should explain this somewhere in your post.

Patrick Mayock said...

You make a valid point: too many students are stuck inside of the Jimmy John's bubble. I know so many people who haven't even heard of half the places on your list, and they've been going to school here for 4 years. Take Salaam, for instance. This ethnic gem has arguably the best combination of food and ambiance in the city, yet hardly anyone knows about it. Yeah, it's tucked away down an ally, but still! Hopefully your blog will open up some eyes - and stomachs - regarding the culinary treats that Athens has to offer.

molls said...

Excellent choices. I know I often go for convenience instead of trying something new, but I'm determined to get to some of the places that you've listed before I leave. I agree with Chris - review-type posts would be great. I think sometimes I shy away from new restaurants because I don't know what the atmosphere or menu is like. If you were providing a commentary that I could read over before I went, that would be great.

Anonymous said...

Ok, well I may be one of those people that you hate. I haven't been to a lot of the restaurants you have posted about, let alone heard of two. Because of your blog, however, as soon as I can rake up the dough, I'm taking a trip to one or more of your suggestions! I will definitely be checking back for further discussions about each... Can't wait to read more!