Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Movin on...

My "tastes" as you may call them have developed in my four years in Athens. I grew up from the point of having a so-called interest in food to learning how to transform what I eat into part of my lifestyle. The food we put in our bodies is something more than a substance to fill us up. It gives us nourishment, but it also can represent our views on larger social issues.

My stint in the Southeast region of Ohio has taught me that what we eat can be a much bigger reflection on who we are. Look at the Hare Krishnas, for example, who don't eat meat as a symbol of their faith. Or the worker's at Casa Nueva who believe that the food they prepare should support the local economy. The people around here make food to represent their history. The sushi at Happy Kobi and the chicken curry at Star of India can transport their customers from this small Appalachian town to a place halfway across the world. And the decision to consume organic or fair trade products may not make a difference to your tastebuds, but can make a whole lot of difference to a family halfway across the world struggling to make a living.

This might be cheesy to say, but I've learned that buying groceries is more than picking out a box or a bag of whatever tastes good. More than deciding between store brand and name brand. Family, culture and society all revolve around cuisine. I thank my mom for teaching me to eat a well-balanced meal complete with fruits, vegetables, starches and proteins. But I thank this college town for teaching me that food can be a way of life.

I hope that when I leave Athens in less than two weeks to pursue new ventures that the passion I have for the food I eat doesn't diminish. I hope to continue to find that hole-in-the-wall joint that serves up a delicious home-cooked meal or meet that farmer who grows a rare variety of crop. And that the produce I come across is not just food but the gateway into learning about a new culture.

I plan on continuing this blog, not as "Eating Uniquely in Athens" but eating uniquely around Ohio, the United States and the world. Please feel free to drop me a hint of where I can find something unique and delicious because I'll always be waiting to expand my palette and try something new.

No comments: