Saturday, June 16, 2007

Double Venti Carmel Macchi-what?

Little did I know that when I applied to Starbucks, I would also be enrolling in a foreign language course. The language of the caffeine-buzzed coffee extraordinaires is complete with it's own special vocabulary and perfect structure. I don't want to upset the privacy of this mega coffee empire so I can't go into too much detail, but let me clue you into how complicated this new dialect that I'm learning is.

Words I must learn include a certain ethnic ring such as macchiato, americano, con panna, cappuchino and the like. These drinks can take on a number of different attributes (adjectives if you will) that at this point have absolutely no meaning to me. Short, skinny, wet, dry, tall, grande, venti, double, triple, quad. Raspberry, Juicy Raspberry, Mint, Orange. Vanilla Bean and Cafe Vanilla. (Is there a difference?)

The native speakers who appear to be on a diet tend to have a pretty negative vocabulary. No whip. Non-fat. And those with a hearty appetite load on the descriptors. Iced double grande triple pump extra hot ... blah blah blah.

And if you don't order the adjectives correctly, good luck in getting the drink you want. At this point I'm not even going to attempt to let you know what that order may be.

Now mind you, I took 5 years of French and can barely be considered conversationally fluent. Best of luck to all those early risers coming to me looking for a morning perk.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Kind of an odd question..where is this Starbucks? In Athens? I am moving out there in August and would like to be able to transfer but the only store I can find is in Kroger so it isnt a real store. So I am curious where this store is so I can try and get set up before I go.

Anonymous said...

there is no real starbucks in athens. There is the smaller one in kroger and the front room in baker center has starbucks products but isnt a 'real' starbucks.

Rachael said...

Yes... the only starbucks is in Kroger. I am actually working at one in Columbus. Sorry for the confusion.